Five school boards from across Texas have been selected as Honor School Boards as part of the 2019 Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA) School Board Awards. Each year, the program recognizes outstanding Texas school boards for commitment and service that has made a positive impact on Texas public school students.
Since 1971, the TASA program has honored Texas school district boards of trustees that have demonstrated dedication to student achievement and that put students first.
The five school boards selected as 2019 Texas Honor School Boards are:
• Harlingen CISD Board of Trustees, Region 1, Art Cavazos, nominating superintendent
• Pasadena ISD Board of Trustees, Region 4, DeeAnn Powell, nominating superintendent
• Tyler ISD Board of Trustees, Region 7, Marty Crawford, nominating superintendent
• Rockwall ISD Board of Trustees, Region 10, JJ Villarreal, nominating superintendent
• Frenship ISD Board of Trustees, Region 17, Michelle McCord, nominating superintendent
The five boards are now finalists for the program’s highest honor: 2019 Outstanding School Board. They will be interviewed at the TASA/TASB Convention in Dallas, where one board will be named Outstanding School Board during the convention’s first general session at 4 p.m., Sept. 20. The other Honor Boards, as well as the regional winners, will also be recognized at that time.